Chocolate chip cookies are a type of cookie that is made from a dough of flour, sugar, butter, eggs, and vanilla, with small pieces of chocolate mixed in, and we’ve got the perfect chocolate chip cookie recipe for you to share and enjoy. The cookies are typically baked until they are golden brown and crispy around the edges, with a soft and chewy center. Chocolate chip cookies are a popular dessert and snack in many countries around the world.
The chocolate chip cookie was invented by American chef Ruth Graves Wakefield in the 1930s. She owned a restaurant called the Toll House Inn, and she is said to have added small pieces of chocolate to her cookie dough as a experiment. The cookies were an instant hit with her customers, and the recipe was soon published in a newspaper, leading to the cookie’s widespread popularity.
Today, chocolate chip cookies are made in many different variations, with variations in the type and amount of chocolate used, as well as the inclusion of other ingredients such as nuts or dried fruit. Despite these variations, the classic chocolate chip cookie remains a beloved dessert, enjoyed by people of all ages.
In addition to their delicious flavour, chocolate chip cookies are also a good source of some essential nutrients. The flour in the dough provides complex carbohydrates, which are an important source of energy. The eggs and butter used in the dough contain protein and fat, which help to give the cookies their rich flavour and texture. And of course, the chocolate chips themselves are a source of antioxidants and other beneficial compounds.
Overall, chocolate chip cookies are a tasty and satisfying treat that can be enjoyed as part of a healthy and balanced diet. Whether you prefer them crispy and crunchy, or soft and chewy, there’s no denying the appeal of this classic dessert.
Whilst many people have different twists and variations, this is a simple and classic chocolate chip cookie recipe. Leave us a comment below with your favourite twist on the classic cookie, or check out our other great recipes.
Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 450 g self-raising flour
- 400 g chocolate chips
- 250 g butter
- 250 g caster sugar
- 200 g brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- Begin by switching on the oven and heating it to about 190°C (gas mark 4-5).
- Mix together the butter and caster sugar until the mixture is a smooth creamy paste, then add the brown sugar and mix in.
- Lightly beat the egg, then blend into the mixture and add the vanilla extract.
- Stir in the flour until it is thoroughly mixed, then add the chocolate chips.
- The mixture should be firm enough to gently roll into balls in your hands - either use a cookie cutter for neat edges, or make your own round circles! The mixture should make about 24 cookies - plenty for all the family!
- Pop your cookies on a baking tray (a piece of greaseproof baking paper is a good idea here) and bake for about 10 minutes, or until golden-brown. Leave the cookies to cool on a rack before enjoying!
One thought on “Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe”
Wow – these are so nice fresh and warm